Effective Date: 5th March 2021
R.Cheke & Co Limited trading as Cheke & Co is a subsidiary of Beresford Group Ltd (https://www.beresfords.co.uk/). We have developed this privacy notice to inform you of the data we collect, what we do with your information, what we do to keep it secure as well as the rights and choices you have over your personal information.
Telephone: 01245 422 796 (Freephone)
Throughout this document we refer to Data Protection Legislation means the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018), United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 and any legislation implemented in connection with the aforementioned legislation. Where data is processed by a controller or processor established in the European Union or comprises the data of people in the European Union, it also includes the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR). This includes any replacement legislation coming into effect from time to time.
Our Data Protection Officer is;
DataCo International UK Limited
C/O OnePeak Limited
2nd Floor 41 Great Pulteney Street
Tel: +44 20 3514 6557
Purpose of this document
Cheke & Co is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. This policy is designed to make you aware of how and why your personal data will be used, namely for the purposes of arranging an inspection and preparing a survey, and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under Data Protection Legislation.
What personal information is being collected
When you take on our services, we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- Full name
- Full address
- Email address
- Contact telephone numbers
- Full address of property to be surveyed
- Payment information such as credit card & bank details
How we gather personal information
We gather personal information:
- directly from you, for example when you call to ask us to survey your property
- referral from another branch of the Beresfords Group of companies (e.g. Flagstone Financial) to help arrange a survey or other service we offer
- from our Quest and Valuation Exchange systems which will send us instructions directly to undertake a valuation or survey directly. This information is added onto Quest and/or the Valuation Exchange by a third-party lawyer or bank and we do not add this information ourselves
- notifications received from third-party survey websites (e.g. Reallymoving.com, Pinlocal.com) who will inform us someone is interested in using our services and receiving quotes
- We also may gather personal information from monitoring or recording calls. We may record or monitor phone calls with you for regulatory purposes, for training and to ensure and improve quality of service delivery, to ensure safety of our staff and customers, and to resolve queries or issues
How we use information about you and our legal basis
The law requires that we provide you with information about the legal basis on which we process your personal data, and for what purposes.
In general terms, we will use the personal information we collect about you to:
- To arrange access to undertake inspection
- To prepare valuation and survey reports
- To process payment for our services
- To protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorised transactions, money laundering, tax evasion, claims, other liabilities and compliance.
- To communicate with you following completion of services and general enquiries
- To deal with any legal disputes
- To comply with health and safety obligations
Some of the above grounds for processing will overlap and there may be several grounds which justify our use of your personal information.
- Where you have entered into a contract with us
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
We do not collect or process any data that is considered ‘special category’ personal data under the Data Protection Legislation, however, we may ask you about your covid health status so we can make alternative arrangements if where needed for the health and safety of our employees.
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
Sharing your Information
We do not share personal data on a regular basis with a third party in the UK and/or European Economic Area (EEA) however, we would seek your permission to forward on your details to a third-party surveying firm where Chekes & Co are prevented from engaging with you due to a conflict of interest. Such an example of this would be would when Chekes & Co would receive an instruction from Beresfords on a property they are selling. As we are part of the Beresfords Group of companies this would result in a conflict of interest. We will be sure to notify you upon discovery of such a conflict of interest and recommend an impartial third-party company as mentioned above.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-to-know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
Your personal information is stored on our paper and IT filing systems which may be copied for testing, backup, archiving and disaster recovery purposes. Access to your information is limited to those who require it to provide services to you. All data is held within the UK.
If any of your personal information is transferred out with the European Union or the European Economic Area by any of our contractors, we will ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations and applicable UK Data Protection Legislation.
The personal information that you provide will be retained by us in accordance with applicable laws and our internal Retention Policy. We will only hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary and will destroy or de-identify personal information we hold after its retention period. You can request a copy of our Retention Policy by contacting us at email@example.com
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- • Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- • Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- • Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- • Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- • Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- • Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please
contact the DPO using their details above or email@example.com
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.
Information Commissioner – https://ico.org.uk/
Telephone helpline – 0303 123 1113